Our programs are based on our values: empowerment, optimism, excellence, integrity and thriving. We are here to give you a holistic family centred approach, based on informed and shared decision making across the whole communication and development journey of your child.
You can contact our Coordinator of Family Engagement for intake assessment, referral and advice. You don’t need be overwhelmed or isolated. You are not alone.
At HEARO we can support you to:
- Understand what it means to have a deaf child
- Connect you with parents of deaf children who have already been through the experience
- Navigate the system – get the best advice and services for your child
- Access supports available through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Connect you to appropriate supports and services
Parent to parent mentor program
“While all my friends have been supportive, it is really only people who have been in your shoes that can know what you are going through.” – Mother of 3 month old deaf daughter
Without doubt, parenting is a difficult yet rewarding challenge. Families with deaf children often feel isolated with relatively few contacts with whom to compare and share their experiences.
At HEARO we offer the Parent to Parent Mentor Program. New parents are paired with more experienced parents of deaf children. It is an opportunity for you to share your experience with someone further along the journey.
The three-month program will:
- Match you with an appropriate mentor taking into account your location, cultural preference, and the type of hearing loss of your child
- Provide support through an appropriate channel – face-to-face, phone, SMS, email
- Encourage mentors to provide support weekly for the first month and then regular contact for the next two months
- Provide empathic support from someone who has travelled a similar path
- Empowerment through sharing of stories and experiences
To find out more about this program, connect with our team today.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?